In this article, we will list down some of most common idioms about Food in English with meaning.
Idioms about Food
|1||A piece of cake||Something very easy to do|
|2||A hard nut to crack||Difficult to understand, often a person|
|3||Butter someone up||Be extra nice to someone|
|4||Big cheese||Very important person (VIP)|
|5||Bad egg||A person who is often in trouble|
|6||Bring home the bacon||Earn the income|
|7||Carrot top||A person with red or orange hair|
|8||Bread and butter||Necessities, the main thing|
|9||Bun in the oven||Be pregnant|
|11||Cool as a cucumber||Very relaxed|
|12||Cream of the crop||The best|
|13||(Don’t) cry over spilled milk||Get upset over something that has happened and cannot be changed|
|14||Souped-up||Made more powerful or stylish|
|15||Sell like hot cakes||Bought by many people|
|16||Take something with a pinch of salt||Don’t consider something 100% accurate|
|17||Use your noodle||Use your brain|
|18||Smart cookie||A very intelligent person|
|19||Egg someone on||Urge someone to do something|
|20||Apple of one’s eye||A person that is adored by someone|
|21||Hot potato||Controversial or difficult subject|
|22||Go bananas||Become crazy|
|23||Full of beans||Have a lot of (silly) energy|
|24||Have bigger fish to fry||Have more important things to do|
|25||Gravy train||Extremely good pay for minimal work|
Also Read ==>>
- 15+ Idioms about Money in English with Meaning
- Silent Words: 60+ List of Most Common Silent Words
- British English vs American English: 55+ Words List
Idioms about Food Example
- You have lost the game but don’t cry over spilled milk.
- The company spends billions on souped-up broadband services.
- The students at this college are the cream of the crop.
- I’m sure this book will sell like hotcakes.
- If I had a million dollars, I could ride the gravy train.
- Painting is his bread and butter.
- The exam was a piece of cake.
- Monroe herself, of course, was a smart cookie, but she knew enough to play dumb.
- You are the apple of my eye.
- The issue has become a political hot potato.
- Stop trying to butter me up!
- She gave a cheesy grin to the cameras.
- I was furious, but Mike was as cool as a cucumber.
- I know they say I am a celebrity, but I take it all with a pinch of salt.
- Use your noodle to figure out the math problem.
- One of the big cheeses from NASA gave a speech.
- Another way to grow a carrot top is in a hanging basket.
- Ram was full of beans after a long sleep.
- He a bad egg. I don’t trust him.
- Someone has brought home the bacon the family.