In this article, we will list down some of most common idioms about Color in English with meaning.
Idioms about Color
|1||Black and white||Straight forward, very clear|
|2||Beet red||Dark red|
|4||Black eye||A bruise near one’s eye|
|5||Black as night||Somewhere very dark, when it is hard to see anything|
|6||Blue collar||Working in a manual labor job|
|7||Black sheep||A person who is a disgrace to a family or group|
|8||Black and blue||Describe something that is badly bruised|
|9||Caught red-handed||To catch someone in the act of doing something|
|10||Red tape||Official or bureaucratic tasks|
|11||Have the blues||Be sad or depressed|
|12||Golden opportunity||The perfect chance|
|13||Gray area||Something that is unclear, undefined|
|14||Green with envy||To be very jealous, envious|
|15||Out of the blue||Randomly, without warning, surprisingly|
|16||White lie||A small lie that is told to be polite or avoid hurting someone’s feelings|
|17||To be yellow||To be cowardly|
|19||To see red||To be very angry|
|20||Once in a blue moon||Very rarely|
|21||Take the red eye||A late night flight that arrives early in the morning|
|22||Tickled pink||To be extremely pleased|
|23||Pink slip||A notice of dismissal from employment|
|24||White elephant||An expensive item that is costly to maintain|
|25||Roll out the red carpet||Treat someone like royalty|
|26||Silver screen||The film industry|
|27||In the red||In debt|
|28||The green light||Permission|
|29||Green thumb||To be skilled at gardening|
Also Read ==>>
- 25+ Idioms about Fun in English with Meaning
- Animals Start with B: 75+ Animal List, Definition & Example
- 35+ Idioms about Personality in English with Meaning
Idioms about Color Examples
- The doctor told him a white lie.
- I see red whenever I hear that man’s name.
- Symptoms of the disease often appear out of the blue.
- Leave me alone. I really have the blues today.
- It takes weeks to get through the red tape.
- Mr. White has a green thumb. His garden is always beautiful.
- He punched me until I was black and blue.
- He wasted a golden opportunity when he missed from the penalty spot.
- Tom is the black sheep of his family.
- He was green with envy when he saw my new Jaguar car.
- I’m having trouble answering you because there gray area.