In corpus linguistics, a collocation is a series of words or terms that co-occur more often than would be expected by chance. In phraseology, a collocation is a type of compositional phrase, meaning that we can understand it from the words that make it up.
English Collocations In Use by Michael McCarthy Pdf
A good knowledge of collocations (typical word combinations) is essential for fluent and natural-sounding English.
Using collocations will improve your style of written and spoken English, and knowledge of collocations is often tested in examinations such as Cambridge FCE, CAE, CPE, and IELTS. Learning correct word combinations will also help you avoid common learned errors.
English Collocations in Use presents and practices hundreds of collocations in typical contexts. It is ideal for students at a good intermediate level and above.
About the Author
Michael McCarthy is a British environmentalist, naturalist, newspaper journalist, newspaper columnist, and author. He was born the son of John and Norah McCarthy. He studied Modern Languages at the University of Liverpool. He worked as a journalist first on the Bolton Evening News and then on the Daily Mirror.
Table of Content
- What is a collocation?
- Strong, fixed, and weak collocations
- Grammatical categories of collocation
- Finding and working on collocations in texts
- Intensifying and softening adverbs
- Make and verbs that mean make
- Collocations with phrasal verbs
- Working life
- New employment
- Thoughts and ideas
- Business reports
- Customer services
- Student life
- Writing essays, assignments, and reports
- Social life
- In the news
- Current affairs
- Festivals and celebrations
- Cosmetics and fashion
- Travel and adventure
- Plans and decisions
- Film and book reviews
- Regulations and authority….
Download Other Books ==>>
- Word Power Made Easy Pdf Download | 562+ Pages
- Essential English Grammar Pdf Download | 300+ Pages
- Basic English Grammar for Dummies Pdf Download – 422 Pages